Saturday, July 12, 2014

DIY Vanilla Extract

Is it strange that I am anxiously awaiting for the Autumn season to begin? Oh! Do not get me wrong, I like summer not for the heat but because the days grow longer which means my Beloved and I can do things together outdoors if we choose with time to spare! 

But the Fall... Now that is a season to await with anticipation! 

 I get to snuggle with my Beloved on our couch as I serve some hot cocoa or some hot sweet beverage as we put on some candles with scent of pumpkin or apple spice as we chat about our day, about what the Lord has been doing in our lives or watch a fun movie!

Of course, one of the best things about this awesome season is the food! The baking, the yummy stews and hot meals and hot beverages to warm up the body! Most of us (I am sure) love to bake yummy sweets and make sweet hot beverages and what is one ingredient that is usually used? 

Vanilla Extract! I've come to learn how to make vanilla extract (so I can finally stop purchasing imitation brands, I want to give the best in whatever I make or cook/bake so I decided to learn how to make it from scratch), and surprisingly, it is the easiest to make! It's as easy as 1, 2, 3... Literally. 

Ingredients:
  1. Vanilla Beans (I purchased mine at Jimbo's, an organic supermarket, or you can also purchase online).
  2. Vodka or Rum (I used Rum as I have heard that if you use Vodka you will just get plain vanilla flavor, but if you are looking for a bit of a sweet/spicy twang go for rum or bourbon).
  3. 1 Mason Jar (I used a pint size jar for my 4 vanilla beans).
Instructions:

  1. Insert beans inside clean mason jar.
  2. Fill jar with one of the 3 alcohol I have listed.
  3. Tighten jar lid, give it a shake and place in a cool dark place for about 3 months. 
That's it!!!  Mine will be ready by late September early October! I cannot wait!!!

 Nothing gets me more excited then to know my favorite season of the year is approaching!!!!

Simple ingredients for an amazing Vanilla Extract!

My extract ready to see darkness for 3 - 5 months!


No comments:

Post a Comment