Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Sweet Pumpkin Stew

I honestly have no idea what to call this. All I know was each Autumn since I was a little girl, our home would smell of the sweetness of this yummy soup my mom would make and it just got me excited for the cold that was coming and enjoying this sweetness next to the fireplace as it would be raining outside, snuggled under a blanket reading a book on the sofa. Sigh... memories!!!

 My mom told me recently how simple it was to make it that I just had to make it for Dustin as he has never had it before!

 When I made it, it made the house smell of spicy pumpkin and it was cold that night so it was perfect weather for it!

 I did it the same way my mom made it, except, I added seasoning she never did and boy... it was EXCELLENT!!!! Dustin absolutely LOVED it! 

What you will need:

  • Sugar Pumpkins (the smaller, the sweeter and I used 2 of these pumpkins)
  • Piloncillos (I used 4. Piloncillos is made from pure unrefined sugar cane that is pressed into a cone shape. It tastes like brown sugar with a hint of molasses. You can find it in many grocery stores or better yet, mexican food markets.)
  • Pumpkin Spice
  • 5 Cloves
  • Cinnamon
  • Milk, Whip Cream and Nutmeg (for topping afterwards).

 You cut in half the pumpkins and take out all the fiber and seeds (save the seeds for later to roast and enjoy!).




 Wash very thoroughly the inside and outside of the pumpkins and cut them in more halves in order to fit into a large pot.

In the middle of the pot put in the piloncillos, cloves, pumpkin spice and Cinnamon (for the seasonings, you go with the taste. I like mine nice and sweet, some may not like too much. So taste, taste, taste!!!). 



Pour in water until it covers the top of everything in the pot.



 Bring it to a boil, one it boils then let it to a medium simmer and leave it to cook. 30 minutes to 45 minutes later check on the pumpkin (and before that keep tasting the stew).

To see if it's ready, get a fork and pierce the top of one of the pieces of pumpkin and if the fork easily slides in and the pumpkin even slides open easily, it is ready!



Pour some pumpkin and the soup into a bowl, add a splash of milk and some whip cream and nutmeg and you got yourself a yummy hot dessert to enjoy!!!! Careful, one bowl of this and you will be snoring rather fast! ;)

Enjoy!!!

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment